TheEffectsLab.com Forum Index

If you are not currently a registered member, please read the instructions
for membership and activation at the top of the Laboratory section. Thank you.

It is currently Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:34 am 
Acolyte

I recently added two momentary switches to my RC transmitter. For puppeteering I felt it would be useful to be able to quickly push a channel on/off for eye blinks etc. Its a pretty simple process but I thought some people might like to see.

Tools I used. I also used a drill with 3.5 and 7mm bits and some needle nose pliers were useful to get the switch in place.

IMAG0468.jpg by RardSFX, on Flickr

Take out the four screws on the back of the transmitter, and disconnect the battery.

IMAG0470.jpg by RardSFX, on Flickr

I removed the toggle switch on the right shoulder which is for channel 6 on the transmitter. This lets me access underneath it where I want to add the switch.

IMAG0473.jpg by RardSFX, on Flickr

I measured and pilot drilled a hole where I want the switch, then I opened up the hole with a 7mm drill bit.
IMAG0477.jpg by RardSFX, on Flickr

Then I put the switch into position and soldered it in parallel with the toggle switch I removed.

IMAG0479.jpg by RardSFX, on Flickr

The left shoulder was slightly more awkward as there is a small plastic bracket right were I wanted the switch, I drilled my hole the same as before and then just snapped the bracket off with some pliers, then removed the nub with my dremel. (the bracket is there to support the trainer switch and stop it spinning, its not ideal to remove it but as long as I fit the switch back in tightly it should be fine)

IMAG0482.jpg by RardSFX, on Flickr

IMAG0484.jpg by RardSFX, on Flickr

I installed my switch and soldered it again in parrallel, this time with the ch 5 toggle switch.

IMAG0486.jpg by RardSFX, on Flickr

I put both toggle switches back in place
IMAG0488.jpg by RardSFX, on Flickr

Then screwed everything back together.
IMAG0489.jpg by RardSFX, on Flickr

So now the toggle switches act exactly as they did before but if the switch is in the off position I can also use the push switch to get fast on/off action. If the toggle switch is already in the on position then the push switches have no effect (useful if you don't want to accidentally knock them)

Heres a quick video for anyone still interested.

http://youtu.be/-zv0vfI9eGg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:31 pm 
Acolyte

Great idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:27 am 

went to maplins after work to get a couple of switches, took me about a half hour to rig up and solder , this works brilliantly !!! now wondering what else i can add other switches to too, i did this with an 8 channel futaba transmitter, this will be great to add to the nose twitch i need too. top stuff mate, easy cheap and so much more easy than flicking the toggle !! even the programmable mixing on my transmitter seems to work fine using the momentary switches due to them being still connected. thanks for sharing. top fella !! so many uses for these ideas. i'm crap at electronics and soldering but i managed it no problems. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:42 am 
Acolyte

Prof, so great to hear you found this useful, nose twitches, ear flicks and blinks is exactly what I imagined it would be good for.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:44 am 

cheers mate ive now got my transmitter full of holes and momentary switches, great to have the normal chanell switches but to have the brief on / offs is great too, especially when it doesnt affect the basic functionality of the unit just makes it that much more ergonomic. such a simple idea but they are more often the best ideas. CHEERS YOUR A STAR !!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:24 pm 
Acolyte

Haha, oh you'll make me blush. So how many did you add? It'd be good to see a picture of your radio now.